You are a writer, artist, crafter, designer, or entrepreneur who wants to connect with your audience — people who will truly love your work and what you create.
Do these challenges feel familiar to you?
- I want to connect with more people.
- I need to find a way to sell more of my work.
- I know that word-of-mouth marketing is the best kind of marketing, but I don’t know how to get it started.
- I want an audience growth & engagement practice that makes the most of my resources.
- I have tried social media, blog tours and so much else to market my work, but none of it is working.
If you said yes to any of these, then you aren’t alone. These are questions that all successful creative professionals asked themselves before they hit it big.
Find & Engage is about establishing the practice of finding your audience every day.
Of creating greater clarity for why your creative work matters.
Where you learn how to effectively share your authentic voice.
To being aware of what works, but not being chained to it.
Learning how to make launches a seamless part of your relationship with your audience, instead of a rude interruption.
This is about the effect that your work has. How it can have a deep and long-standing impact on the lives of your audience.
This is about measuring your work in terms of quality, not counting up hollow numbers of sales charts, bestseller lists, and social media followers.
This is about finding and engaging in moments. In stories. In meaningful experiences you create with others through your work.
Yes, of course you want to promote your work and sell what you create. But Find & Engage is about doing that in a meaningful way, by creating special moments of connection with your true fans.
Find & Engage is where your vision and your reality come together!
Outline of Each Session
Find & Engage is a 4-week online course that takes you through four core parts of finding an audience for your work. You will have access to a private online classroom that contains powerful coursework. Each of the four lessons includes a PDF workbook, video lessons, and worksheets:
Lesson 1: Hone The Power of Your Unique Voice
We craft your narrative – the story that you will tell the world about why you work, how you work – that aligns with their own desire for the experiences they want in their lives.
Too many creatives hold back out of fear of being too vulnerable. They share with the world what they think it wants to hear, instead of what you need to say. This, and this alone, is a critical gap that one needs to cross between intention and success.
Your voice, and the voice of those we want to reach, is the core connecting factor.
Lesson 2: Create Clarity
Most creative professionals have no clear understanding of who their audience is, how to best describe what it is they offer, and what the critical milestones are on the path to success.
In this session we demystify these things. This is all about deep research that most creatives skip entirely. They never learn about the marketplace, never do deep enough research with their audience, and they settle too quickly with "good enough" messaging, instead of truly proving what gets people to take action.
We dig into:
- Clarifying your goals, and identifying key milestones along the way
- Understanding the marketplace from an insider's perspective
- Studying those who do what you want to do
- Understanding the first accessible steps on the path you need to take
- Vet the perception vs. the reality of this path
I obsess about research. This is my methodology of caring – OBSESSIVELY – about the work you want to do, the communities/marketplace that work will exist within, the lifestyle/path that is required, and most critically: the people who are a core part of these worlds.
Lesson 3: Find Your Ideal Audience
Here we identify your ideal audience not by making vague assumptions, but by learning from them through research. This is all about understanding your audience's desires and habits.
- We get honest about the fact that research is work
- We begin by guiding you to create reader personas
- You will identify connectors – the people who are between an your work and your audience
- We start small, with those first 10 engaged fans, but teach you to adopt habits that are meaningful and repeatable to keep growing an audience
The crux is this: stop trying to reach anyone who will listen (but has no interest in your work), and find that core group of people desperate to connect with someone like yourself. Here you are not promoting, but rather, aligning with the folks who care deeply about the same things you do.
If you have something to say in your work, but feel as though you are shouting at the wind, then you need to connect with the RIGHT people. Every ounce of energy you focus on connecting with the RIGHT person is worth much more than anything you spend trying to connect with the wrong audience – those who will NEVER feel engaged with your work.
Lesson 4: Craft Moments of Connection
Are you studying and replicating "best practices" for marketing your work, and finding it frustratingly ineffective? I thought so.
We are going to move beyond "best practices" that are sold to you as magic bullets, but which thousands of others are crowding the market using. Instead, we are going to fill your days with meaningful engagement, not spammy tricks.
Experiences and moments are what make up the important parts of our lives. Here, we review your connection points, which may include: websites, social media, newsletters, blogs, your presence at online retailers, as well as elsewhere online and off. I know there is a lot of overwhelm surrounding this, so we work through a simplified framework of doing less, not more, and focusing only on the actions that bring the most value.
We go a step further, and focus on how to create meaningful moments with your ideal audience across these channels. The world is not asking for yet another Tweet, but they are desperately waiting for a moment that makes them feel understood and ties into what they love most. Oh, and yes, these moments tend to lead to word of mouth marketing, awareness of your work, and greater sales.
This is about nurturing relationships that create a more meaningful and long lasting strategy than doing what most others do: finding where their audience hangs out and pitching stuff to them. Relationships are the foundation to success. This is where we honor them.
When the course begins, you receive access to the online classroom. Each week, another lesson is unlocked. In total, the course is filled with more 125 pages of lessons, more than 30 videos that walk you through the process of finding & engaging your audience, and more than 20 worksheets:
Choose the package that works best for you:
Deadline to register is Monday October 12 at midnight PST.
(the course begins Tuesday October 13)
I have taught dozens of online courses, and what I LOVE about them is that they work best for busy folks. Everything happens online, meaning that if you have a job, a family, a hectic schedule, that this is likely the best way for you to truly work with a group of other creative professionals (and myself) to get yourself on track.
ABOUT DAN BLANK
Wondering if this course can help you? Here are my professional credentials to put things in context:
- I have worked with hundreds of creative professionals. My days are spent in the trenches with these people – none of this is theory to me – it is always framed in the everyday reality of what truly works for connecting with an audience.
- I have worked with amazing organizations who support creative people, such as Random House, Hachette Book Group, Sesame Workshop, Workman Publishing, J. Walter Thompson, Abrams Books, Writers House, The Kenyon Review, Writer’s Digest, Library Journal, and many others.
- I have helped launch hundreds of email newsletters and blogs; I’ve built dozens of websites; developed podcasts, videos, and even Kickstarter campaigns; and I’ve consulted on marketing strategies with huge publishers & organizations that serve creative professionals. Plus, I have run my own company for years, meaning that I have had to become the master of hundreds of tiny technical details for “getting out there.”
- The core of what I do is help creative professionals develop their skills — to help instruct and truly be there to help you work through challenges. My goal is not to “bestow information” to you – there’s plenty of that out there. My methodology is to work with you to really figure out the hard stuff.
But I think what is equally important is that my days are spent with writers and creative professionals, and my entire life has been spent surrounded by creators hoping to make their mark. As for myself, I have been an artist, a poet, a musician, a paper sculptor, a writer, a publisher, a photographer, a teacher, a radio DJ, a cartoonist, and an entrepreneur.
I have also worked with many other organizations that support great storytelling and creative ideas:
What I find again and again with these organizations is that they embrace the process of honing their vision, engaging with their audience in meaningful ways, and creating powerful moments of connection.
There's Literally No Risk!
Perhaps you feel that you are too busy right now for this course, or fear investing in yet another commitment. Well, I want this to be a risk-free decision for you, so I’m giving you two assurances to make this decision easy for you...
One Year Access
When you register for the course, you will be given one year access. This means that you can continue to access the course material months down the road. Wondering if you can get to it all in four weeks? No problem, because you can work at the pace that is most effective for you, and go back to modules again and again.
7-Day Money-Back Guarantee
I offer a 7-day money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with the course, please email me at email@example.com for a refund. My goal is that you are 100% satisfied.
When you register this is exactly what you can expect:
- You will be taken to a shopping cart where you will securely check out using your credit card via PayPal.
- You will receive an email confirming your registration.
- On Tuesday October 13th, you will receive access to the private online classroom, where you can begin reading through the course material.
- For VIP members: you will be given the option to join the private Facebook group, and given instructions on how to access the October 13th 4pm ET Q&A call. Motivational email prompts will begin arrive, and continue throughout the entire 4-week course. For the VIP Q&A calls, the first one will be a bit of an introduction to the course, and you will be able to ask questions for me to answer on the call. If you cannot make the live calls, don’t worry, a recording of them will be posted to the private online classroom for you to listen to at your convenience. The entire call schedule is: Tues Oct 13 Mon Oct 19, Mon Oct 26, and Mon Nov 2 all at 4pm ET.
I have never taken an online course before, do I have to be at my computer on certain days/times?
For Self-Study students, you take the course entirely at your own pace. You are given access to the course material, videos, and worksheets, and you move through them one week at a time, or at the pace that works best for you.
For VIP students, there are four live Q&A calls throughout the course (dates: Tues Oct 13 Mon Oct 19, Mon Oct 26, and Mon Nov 2 all at 4pm ET.) You do not need to attend these live, as each will be recorded and made available to you via the online classroom. For these calls, you will be able to submit questions ahead of time that I will answer on the call.
For both the self-study and VIP levels, this course can be done completely at your own pace, on the days and times that work best for your schedule.
How long will I have access to the course material once it ends?
You are given one-year access to the course, meaning that once the four weeks are up, you will continue having access to the online classroom and course material for the remainder of the one-year period.
Do you offer an installment plan for the course registration fee?
Normal registration for the course requires full payment at that time.
How much time should I plan to spend on the course each week?
The honest answer is that you can take this course at your own pace, meaning that you can spend as much or as little time as needed on each lesson. I would encourage you to block out a minimum of two hours each week to read the course material and consider specific actions you can take.
What do I need to access the course, from a technical standpoint?
You will need an email account, an internet connection, and a phone. Feasibly, you could take this entire course on your mobile phone!
What is your refund policy?
I offer a 7 day money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with the course for any reason, please contact me for a refund.